We occasionally hold a come and try session as part of Wodson Park’s 50 Plus open days. Other events and competitions are planned and we will update this section when events are confirmed.
Pickleball Level 1 Coach Course. 17th Feb 2019
We are delighted to announce the creation of pickleballEngland, a not for profit Association, focussed on supporting the growth of pickleball in England.
PickleballEngland has been set up by Karen Mitchell and Frank Arico as the founding directors pending the next AGM and open elections of Regional Directors by Members.
After talking to many players and Clubs in England, Scotland and Wales, and discussion with both UKPA and GB Pickleball regarding historical challenges, we came to the conclusion that we should focus on England rather than attempting to cover the whole of the UK.
With this purpose in mind, we also agreed that we need to collaborate with other groups that share the intention of spreading the enthusiasm for pickleball. We have outlined an initial set of objectives:
- Organise tournaments for all to enjoy
- Create an organisation of active elected regional Directors that support pickleballengland objectives in their area
- Create regional Leagues to enable local competitive play
- Create regional and national Ladders to enable competitive play and focus on improving players’ game
- Create a pickleballEngland website (please check us out at www.pickleballengland.org)
- Gather information and statistics to measure the growth of pickleball in England and appropriate demographics
- Set in motion the process of having our first AGM and elections of Regional Directors
Where are we now?
- PickleballEngland has been incorporated and Registered with Companies House as a not for profit company limited by guarantee.
- We have applied to become a member of the IFP (both GB Pickleball and UKPA have de-registered from the IFP, thereby paving the way for us to work towards becoming the NGB for England and in time to apply for Sport England recognition.
- Our first tournament, the English OPEN will take place from 22-25th August 2019 (it is this tournament that will generate some profit to pay for the pickleballengland.org website and other costs)
- We have set up a Facebook page @pickleballengland
- We are establishing a South East England Singles League (if someone would like to work with us to set up a Midlands or North of England League, please let us know)
- We are making serious enquiries to the IFP about applying to host the Bainbridge Cup
It is our aim to create open communication and provide transparency in our dealings. To this end, we want to disclose that pickleballEngland has received a loan of £10,000 to establish its website, cover initial expenses and to cover any English OPEN costs prior to receiving registration fees or sponsorship.