The American way
Club members gathered at the end of November for some friendly competition in an “American” Tournament. This consisted of 5 rounds of mixed doubles and 5 rounds of gender doubles.
The random nature of the format produced some “interesting” pairings and lots of exciting play, enjoyed by all participants. Although fun was the primary aim, trophies were presented to the players who amassed the most points across the rounds.
BaD players shine at the English Open
A team of 22 players from the club attended this fantastic event in Nottingham – and came away with a clutch of medals, including golds!
The three-day event consisted of men’s and women’s singles, doubles and mixed doubles.
The winners included:
Nick Pomery Silver in the mens singles 50 to 60 age group
Diane Derrick and Pam Stoten Gold in the ladies doubles, 60 to 70 age group
Pam and David Stoten Gold in the mixed doubles, 60 to 65 age group
Christine Neyndorff and Ceri Why Bronze in the Ladies doubles, 60 to 70 age
John and Linda Shanley Gold in the mixed doubles, 65 to 70 age group
Christine Neyndorff and Rick Kirby Bronze in the mixed doubles, 65 to 70 age group
Tina Hughes Nickel medal for the highest scoring pair playing in the age group below (she played in the 19 –59 age group and is 59 !)
Mike Varney and Liz Batty Nickel medal for the highest scoring pair playing in a lower age group. (they played in the 65 – 70 age group instead of the 70 to 75 age group)
John Shanley Silver in the men’s doubles in the 65 to 70 age group
CONGRATULATIONS to all those who took part
Sport England grant
We are excited that Sport England have given us a small grants award to develop pickleball in Hertfordshire. We are looking forward to implementing the award and believe we are the first successful pickleball related grant award from Sport England.
We occasionally hold a come and try session as part of Wodson Park’s 50 Plus open days. Other events and competitions are planned and we will update this section when events are confirmed.
We are delighted to announce the creation of pickleballEngland, a not for profit Association, focussed on supporting the growth of pickleball in England.
PickleballEngland has been set up by Karen Mitchell and Frank Arico as the founding directors pending the next AGM and open elections of Regional Directors by Members.
After talking to many players and Clubs in England, Scotland and Wales, and discussion with both UKPA and GB Pickleball regarding historical challenges, we came to the conclusion that we should focus on England rather than attempting to cover the whole of the UK.
With this purpose in mind, we also agreed that we need to collaborate with other groups that share the intention of spreading the enthusiasm for pickleball. We have outlined an initial set of objectives:
- Organise tournaments for all to enjoy
- Create an organisation of active elected regional Directors that support pickleballengland objectives in their area
- Create regional Leagues to enable local competitive play
- Create regional and national Ladders to enable competitive play and focus on improving players’ game
- Create a pickleballEngland website (please check us out at www.pickleballengland.org)
- Gather information and statistics to measure the growth of pickleball in England and appropriate demographics
- Set in motion the process of having our first AGM and elections of Regional Directors
Where are we now?
- PickleballEngland has been incorporated and Registered with Companies House as a not for profit company limited by guarantee.
- We have applied to become a member of the IFP (both GB Pickleball and UKPA have de-registered from the IFP, thereby paving the way for us to work towards becoming the NGB for England and in time to apply for Sport England recognition.
- Our first tournament, the English OPEN will take place from 22-25th August 2019 (it is this tournament that will generate some profit to pay for the pickleballengland.org website and other costs)
- We have set up a Facebook page @pickleballengland
- We are establishing a South East England Singles League (if someone would like to work with us to set up a Midlands or North of England League, please let us know)
- We are making serious enquiries to the IFP about applying to host the Bainbridge Cup
It is our aim to create open communication and provide transparency in our dealings. To this end, we want to disclose that pickleballEngland has received a loan of £10,000 to establish its website, cover initial expenses and to cover any English OPEN costs prior to receiving registration fees or sponsorship.